UMC Cooperative Ministry Meeting
August 12, 2017 (@ Glenwood)
Meeting opened with prayer at 9:00am. We took some time to highlight cool things that happened in our churches over the summer. A significant sign of how this effort is working is that Asbury led a VBS program at H/SJ this summer.
· Summer campership update – 10 Congolese Association campers from First UMC and 12 from Henderson/San Juan. We think there is still some money left over to start with next year.
· The Seawolves baseball game on June 3 went well. We think there were some conflicts with the Bishop’s night at the Seawolves event so attendance was lower than expected.
· We did a good job with ServErie and getting youth involved in serving.
· Matt is to contact Karen Seggi (Second Harvest) for a meeting regarding feeding issues related to Glenwood, Henderson/San Juan, Kingsley, and EUMA. The goal is to get clarity on changes being made at the agency and how they might impact our various feeding ministries. This did not get done yet
· We had an extended conversation about disciple-making plans and cooperative Bible studies. Discipleship is neither just study or serving. We are developing a list of available studies for this fall that are open to anyone in our churches. These studies should move around to various churches if space and length permits.
· We talked at length about back to school concerns (especially in the city) and developing school partnerships. ACTION: Mary is going to write a prayer that we are all invited to use on Sunday, August 27 as part of our back to school emphasis
· Pulpit swap date is set for Sunday, October 22. Let Matt know if you are planning to participate.
· We talked about Code Enforcement sweeps in the east/west Bayfront areas and how that impacts the poor and elderly. The churches have a chance to be available to help with simple repairs identified in the sweeps. Serverie has focused on the east side. “Our West Bayfront” has a couple work days scheduled for the west side. ACTION: Harold will provide us the dates of the west side work days.
· There will be a youth retreat at Wesley Woods October 13-15. Cost is $95.
· EUMA has a house on West 8th near Kingsley that still needs one of the apartments to be painted.
· “Take Me to Worship” campaign launches this week
· Ride for the Refuge – Monday, Sept 4 (EUMA)
· Wesley Woods Golf Scramble – Saturday, Sept 9
· Erie Community Leaders Prayer Breakfast – Friday, Sept 29 (am) – o Speaker – Jon Katov – founder of http://www.theopentable.org/ a poverty ending ministry
· All God’s Children Ministries fundraising dinner – Friday, Sept 29 (@ Glenwood)
· Ruck the Bay – Sunday, Oct 15 (EUMA)
Next meeting will by October 21 from 9-11am at Henderson.
Respectfully submitted - Matt Judd
|814-453-6041||Henderson United Methodist Church © 2013 - 2017|